Minutes of board meeting held on 7th April 1961
Minutes of board meeting held on 7th April 1961 in which the following was discussed: three new board members welcomed, Sean T O'Ceallaigh, Dr John Leydon, and new ex-offico member J L Synge (recently elected President of the RHA). Sympathy expressed for the Late Lord Longford. Mr Sean O'Sullivan nominated to represent the board as a judge for the Taylor Art Competition. The Chairman reported the theft of "The Head of a Man" by Bellini [NGI 244] on the 21st of February and its return by post on the 22nd of February. This prompted Garda Inspector Farrell to suggest the finding of a means of better communication between the rooms. Professor Synge suggested installation of a burglar alarm. A Mrs Geraldine Fogarty requested the use of blocks of certain pictures for reproduction in connection with the Irish National Committee of the Pere Pire Refugee Fund. The request was granted. It was decided to purchase the following pictures: "Adoration of the Shepherds" by Louis le Nain [The Le Nain Brothers NGI 1645] for £7500 from the Shaw fund (there was some discussion on the correct date of the picture). "Portrait of Charlotta Fredrika Sparre" (1719-1795), later Countess Fersen by Jean-Marc Nattier for £7000 [NGI 1646]. "Portrait of Chevalier L.A Thibault Dubois" by Quentin de la Tour for 100,000 NF [NGI 3315] with funds from the Shaw Fund. A self-portrait of Jack B Yeats was accepted from Victor Waddington of London. A Flower-piece by Baptiste [NGI 1647] was accepted from Francis O'Farrell. It was agreed to make loans of works by Yeats to Manchester. On the employment of the new assistant it was suggested that the position be re-advertised at higher 'status and salary'. It was decided that a letter be sent to the Department of Education in connection with proposed legislation. Five points are discussed. A detailed account of the current state of the Shaw Fund is outlined including payments and receipts.
National Gallery of Ireland
|Title||Minutes of board meeting held on 7th April 1961|
|Creator||National Gallery of Ireland|